Spring/Summer 2018 Cranx Program
After its successful second year, the Juventus Cranx Program returns for 2018!
The program is designed as the next step in development for kids aged 11 - 15 year old, graduating from the Juventus Sprockids Program. The program incorporates Cycling Canada's Athlete Development Model. We introduce young athletes to advanced mountain biking techniques and skills, teach specific safety rules, and foster a love for the sport of cycling.
Competition is in a fun, friendly environment with emphasis on personal achievement, camaraderie and teamwork. Riders must have the maturity, skills, stamina, commitment and desire necessary for success in this 8-week program. Age, experience and physical ability are used to group athletes appropriately.
The progress of each rider through cycling basics is monitored by Juventus coaches. Advancement depends on skills demonstrated throughout the year. We recommend that riders attend every class but attendance is not mandatory.
Cranx kids are expected to have a well-performing mountain bike capable of supporting advanced trail riding and introductory competitive events. Competitions will include the Alberta Bicycle Association Trailblazers racing series and the local Fat Tire Tuesdays racing series.
Cranx will run on Saturdays from 9:30AM to noon, and Tuesdays from 6:00PM to 7:30PM.
$290 ($150 Juventus Club membership + $40 ABA insurance fee + $100 volunteer bond) The bond is refunded at the end of the year upon completion of two volunteer commitments.
- 2018 Juventus Cycling Club Membership
- 8 weeks of adventure and cycling happiness
- A T-Shirt and water bottle
- Alberta Bicycle Association Insurance
- A wrap-up BBQ in June
Program Dates & Location:
- Saturdays - 9:30 AM - Noon, Tuesdays 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
- April TBD - June TBD (No class Victoria Day weekend)
- Argyll Velodrome: 6850-88 Street, Edmonton
- Advanced mountain biking skills and and introduction to competition - geared to children ages 11 to 15
- We teach cycling skills, safety, etiquette, riding skill, and bicycle maintenance
- We encourage life skills with goal setting, problem-solving and decision-making
- Coaches promote positive values, respect for others, empathy, appreciation and responsibility for the environment
- To be determined
FAQs about the Cranx Program
- AGE REQUIREMENTS - Cranx kids must be between 11 and 15 as of December 31, 2018.
- SIGNUP PROCEDURE - general registration opens in February 2018.
- ABILITY - we will be creating a number of groups based on riding ability (after friend requests have been honoured), so your child will be riding with kids of similar ability.
- EQUIPMENT: your child must have a multi-speed, well-performing mountain bike capable of supporting advanced trail riding and introductory competitive events. A certified properly fitted helmet is required.
Parent Volunteers Needed!
We are looking for a few parents to ride along with the groups as Parent Assistants. Please indicate your interest on the Cranx signup form.
Cranx Program Director